Wednesday, October 26, 2016

09262016 Normal Things as a Missionary in Korea



Well I am staying in Gimpo and I will be training (just like everybody else.) We have 18 new missionaries coming in and 18 next transfer so everybody has to train (maybe even zone leaders). There is once kid coming in from Littleton Colorado, so I am praying I will get him... haha. I decided to base this email on Mom's questions to me this week.


What do you eat- Normally we don't have a lot of money, so we eat cheap. There is 5 dollar pizza, rice burgers(rice patties with different Korean foods in the middle), 



a toast place, we make some stews and raman at home, then some other cheap korean foods, and whatever we get from members! 

How you catch a bus or train- there is a bus stop with a bunch of buses at the main street by our house so we go there and then you just wave at the bus that you want to ride and it will stop and you get on and swipe your card.


 The subway is normally really easy, but we don't have one in our area, so we take a bus for 30 minutes to the nearest station and then you just swipe your card and get on. It is pretty simple. And you transfer from bus to bus and train to train for free so it is nice.
Where do you go- When we met with people we almost always meet at the church. When we go out to proselyte we normally do it around our church/ home. But if we go to visit members or less actives and stuff we go all over the place by bus.
What do you do (tracking?  Street contacting?)- We mainly street contact. In Korea there almost every door has an electronic door bell with a camera. So you ring and then they look at a camera to see who it is and then can choose to talk to us through the camera or just ignore us.




 So basically it is way too easy to not even talk to us, so tracking is pretty ineffective.

How's your district?  My district is doing alright. There have definitely been some struggles. The sisters in my ward had a mid transfer transfer this week, so we have 2 Korean sisters now. The sister Training leaders are great, but have like no investigators, and one of the other elders goes home and is ready to go home. But things are looking up! 

What are your responsibilities as the DL? I just get stats, do district meeting most weeks, and that is about it. I just try to stay in touch with everybody and help in whatever small way I can.

 Is your mission changing much with the new mission president? Not really. Transfers have been crazy but that is mainly because the amount of people coming it. He pretty much said he hasn't changed anything rule wise. He has a different feel that the last president, but for most things it is all the same.

This week there wasn't too much exciting stuff to report. I am excited for transfers. I say this maybe pridefully, but I am excited to get a missionary untainted by other companions in an area with less contact with other missionaries. I want to mold an awesome missionary :) haha I will need your prayers (for my pride and my training...)
I love you all!
-- 
Elder Sabey

No comments:

Post a Comment