Wednesday, March 9, 2016

02152016 Zone Conference

Feb. 15, 2016

This week was really good!
In multi-zone conference, we talked about planning mainly. It was good, and I am not a good planner so hopefully I will get better. Then I had a wonderful interview with the president. We talked about something I felt like I have done well and something I could improve. For things I am doing well I said I have worked hard to study Korean! And thing I could improve I said that I am not good at confronting or addressing problems. I don't like conflict, so I just avoid it, even if I maybe shouldn't. So yeah pretty exciting!  Anyway in the process he said something which reminded me of something in my patriarchal blessing, which I hadn't understood, and perhaps still don't, but gave me a new insight in to it. Plus, my patriarchal blessing was one of those few times I clearly felt like God knew and loved me. So it was a comforting and faith building moment, to have my mission president relay to me a similar message. Then my companion and I had a good talk and I think we understand each other a little better. Anyway, the past few days I have been happy.

It was cool, we had President Whiting, the area president attend our ward. Yeah, Ward, not Stake. I feel like as a member of the seventy, you only attend stake things, but this week he came to our ward because there was a big training meeting in our building after. So that was cool! Nine less active members came to church because of him I think. It was cool! Plus, is was cool to have him speak in English and then have a translator translate. I wish every talk was like that! Our ward then made a big meal for him and it was cool!

So as far as investigators go, Scott is our main one right now. We are doing the Family English Program with him, which is just 30 minutes of English and then 30 minutes of gospel.  We meet with him twice a week. He doesn't believe in God, and doesn't want to pray and stuff, but I think likes me, and was curious about the Book of Mormon, so he took one. So planting seeds is always good!

So to answer some questions. 
I still feel like a total beginner! I don't feel like I am naturally a good teacher, and then trying to teach in another language it hard. But in some ways it is really good, because it forces you to simplify. And that is good. But we don't teach a whole lot, and often the people have English interest, so I feel like I don't get to practice a lot in Korean. But slowly it is getting easier. I am not sure I will ever not feel like a beginner.
My companion is good. I like him. We are different in some things, but we both want to work hard. So it is good!

New years in Korea is cool. Like Taiwan, they go to their hometown, but only for a few days. So Seoul gets super empty.

 Like on that night we went to Time's Square and home and there were like 10 people that we passed! Maybe more, but they most were still carrying stuff indicating they there were leaving town. We then went to a basketball court and I played with these 3 people and we got their numbers and one of them came to our basketball meeting! But anyway, I don't think they do the envelopes with money like in Taiwan. I think they do this ceremonial bow to their ancestors. And have a family day or two, and eat rice noodle soup thing. the tradition is when you eat that rice stuff, you eat another year so become a year older. (Because everybody changes ages at the new year’s.) So Everybody has that. I had it like 5 times this past week. It is delicious, so I don't mind.
Anyway, I loved all the thoughts and testimonies that you shared with me this week. I am strengthened so much by the faith of others, especially my family. But one group of people that has strengthen my faith her is the deaf group of members in our ward. One of them is now going blind too. Anyway, I see him come to church and have other deaf people have to like physically move his hands in the motion of signs so he can understand things (which is slow). I can imagine that he only gets a few sentences a week. But he and the others come. They are happy, fun, and faithful. I just love them, even though I can barely communicate.
Like mom's talk, no matter the trials or seemingly unfair events, we can be faithful and happy. God will make us the people he wants us to become. I have a testimony of that. And like David I don't always live that testimony, but I want to.
Hurrah for Israel!


Elder Sabey

No comments:

Post a Comment