Wednesday, March 9, 2016

02222016 Memories of Grandpa Blair

How is everybody (specifically Mom and Grandma) doing? I love you.


I want to share a few thoughts. First, we said that grandpa may die before each of my brothers came home from their missions.  He never did until my mission.  When my president told me he had died,  I had a little time to think and reflect. One of my memories is when I went to basketball camp at BYU. Grandpa would always take me every morning. He would ask questions about me and life and basketball and whatever.  I felt like he really cared and was interested in me. Another is when we were visiting Grandma and Grandpa and I wanted to go downstairs and watch a movie or tv or something, but Mom said that I really should spend time just talking to Grandpa, so I begrudgingly went to sit and talk with Grandpa. I don't remember what we talked about, but I remember thinking Mom was right. I also of course remember going to their house every week for dinner this last year. I specifically remember several times when he talked about Grandma. He truly loved her. And wanted to show his love for her. He would put down his laptop and talk with her. I realized that in his old age he was still changing and realigning his priorities  to become a better person. Then finally, the last time I saw him, I hugged him and he said, "I don't think I will see you again." I was surprised and choked up saying goodbye to him.


I learned many things from Grandpa. I learned to appreciate the miracle of language. I have thought about The Miracle Worker, the play and movie grandpa loved.  I remember when grandpa and my mom talked to me about a child learning a language, and how miraculous it is. Especially now that I am learning a new language, and I listen to a child speak effortlessly and fluently, I am amazed. I am so grateful for language. That I can communicate thoughts, ideas, feelings, with very little effort (at least in English.) I learned that relationships are the most important thing in life. He loved people. He loved getting to know me, inviting people over to his house, learning others’ culture. He loved people. And to the end his number one priority was Grandma and their relationship. I learned to love hymns more. Israel, Israel God is Calling comes to mind. He would always have Dell play piano and have us all sing. He would always love having Dell do things with him: again a focus on relationships. I learned more about hard work and a love for learning. He loved his work and never gave up learning, or creating. I hope I can have a fraction of his dedication to and love of his career. I also learned more about dignity in suffering. Many times I knew Grandpa was in pain, more than I am sure I realized. But he was always funny, with his unique and endearing humor. Never complained, but was thankful for the blessing he did have.


Now as I was thinking of the time I wanted to watch TV more than talk with Grandpa, or when he said goodbye to me, I wish I would have known him better. I wish I would have spend more time and effort learning about him, like he did about me. I wish. But I realize I did not. I know I am where he wants me to be. Like Matt said, "you are learning a new language, and serving the lord. Exactly what Grandpa did his whole life." and I find comfort in knowing that I will see him again. That I will have an eternity to spend the time to get to know him better. And that through Christ all will be made right. So I guess what I am most grateful for is that Grandpa raised my Mom in the gospel. That I too can have this gospel in my life. That he was a true disciple of Christ, honoring the Sabbath, loving others, serving, and changing. I love him and am honored he is my Grandpa.

Love,  Elder Sabey

No comments:

Post a Comment