Tuesday, August 9, 2016

08092016 Two Weeks of letters in one post--Time is flying, Leading by Repentance and God's timing and purpose

Wow, Landon is home, I am on year 2, and my companion is at 6 months...almost. 
This week we had interviews with president. I always feel like they are too short. They are 20 minutes, but it was still really good. He got to know us a little, asked about the language and how we are doing and everything. No amazing insights. But I did really enjoy getting to know him and his wife just a little bit more. This week a fair amount of appointments cancelled and two people didn't come to church that said they would, so that was too bad. I also had two exchanges this week. Both with fellow Coloradans. :) They were both super fun. 

Two referral miracles. After we had a good district meeting, the sisters got a call from some member in another mission who had a couple that wants to learn about our church. So we were all listening and they got an awesome couple to teach. Then on Sunday after 3 of our investigators didn't come to church, a random guy sat next to us. His friend brought him and told us that he wants to learn about the church. So we took him to gospel principles and got his phone number and will hopefully meet him sometime this week.

Our mission gets like 35 or something new missionaries in the next 3 transfers, so like most of the mission will be training. So my companion is freaking out that he might have to train in the next few transfers. Haha. He will do great.

We have been sweating a lot. It is humid and so just walking for a couple of minutes you get pretty darn sweaty. I don't mind it too much, but my companion does not like it at all! Good thing we are in one of the houses with air conditioning.

My spiritual thoughts from this week. First is inspired by what Dad said, which inspired my district meeting. Dad said something like the best way to build Zion is to lead in repentance. I have thought about the leaders I have appreciated in life, and the one's I haven't. I think of the soccer captains that tend to be chosen. They are the loud, yelling, criticizing type. Or of people that if they are "higher" than others they feel like they need to expound there knowledge, because they were chosen for a reason. But then I think of the leaders that have impacted me for good. Those who admit fault, who don't judge, who often are soft spoken and just kind. I think those people lead in repentance. And through them, not those who yell, etc. I find a desire to repent, to improve, and change. As always Christ is perfect at that as well.
Lastly, the biggest promise in the Abrahamic covenant seems to me that his posterity would bless the whole earth. I love that as a promised blessing. It seems kind of funny. If you keep this promise, you will receive not service from others, but the ability to serve others. I guess my thought is that this gospel naturally leads to loving others. Thus that truly is a blessing. Hopefully that all makes sense. 
One last miracle. Just barely a random guy while we were emailing came and asked where our church is, and when we worship is and stuff,  just cool things like that are always fun to see!

-- 
Elder Sabey
Hello everybody!
It was a very warm week. In fact, so warm our mission president asked us to stay indoors on one day until after dinner. Also because it is summer vacation and everything almost all of our investigators could not meet! We had a zone training this week. Basically reinstated rules from president to president, talked about effective proselyting, and some about meeting investigators’ needs. It was a good day, I appreciated all of their thoughts!

Yesterday we had another companionship move into our house. One of them had a breathing problem and the heat doesn't help so they wanted him in an area with air conditioning and close to the hospital we normally use. So he and Elder Yates (my best friend from Pyeong Tech) moved in, maybe just for a week until the transfer ends. 

On Sunday we had the one referral come again to church and got a time when we could meet with him again. Plus a kid from our English class came to church kind of randomly and stayed for the whole thing. So we are going to try to set up an appointment with him this week as well.
Han Jee Sung was busy this week, so was Adam, so was Han Gyu Ook, so was Bak Jeh Uhn. So that was rough, but we met with Bak Hyun Oo the little kid. He now is very willing to get baptized and has a much better attitude about meeting with us and stuff. I really enjoyed it last time. His goal is to get baptized on the 28th!

Mom asked about eating out. We generally try to eat in once and eat out once. Although if people feed us or stuff we will normally eat out twice.

My spiritual thought this week is just a simple idea. Sometimes I, like most humans, question why God's hand seems to come slowly, or not at all, or not in the way we want it to, etc. I guess I have felt this week a gentle assurance that God's purpose isn't to fix my problems. He wants us to work through problems ourselves to learn and grow. But I have also felt this week that he is with me. Like Uncle Bob would often say. God normally does not calm the storm but calms the sailor in the storm. Because through working through our own storm we experience the opposition that allows for true growth and happiness.  So for that opportunity I am eternally grateful!
Hurrah for Israel!
Love,
Elder Sabey


No comments:

Post a Comment