Monday, January 18, 2016

01182016 Last Week with Elder Swanson--A beloved Companion

Hey!  We had transfer calls this week. My new companion will be 양하일 Yang Ha Eel. So that will start on Wednesday. So to answer a few of mom's questions, I haven't spoken a ton of Korean with either companion, both of them seem to prefer just speaking English with each other. I tried pushing a little the speaking Korean thing but it didn't work too well. I get a Korean companion now though so I will probably be speaking a lot more! haha. I am excited. And the eating dog was not a challenge, the guy just asked about it and my companion said let’s do it and so I did. Alcoholism is a huge problem in Korea. Everybody drinks. It is sad. Every restaurant sells alcohol as well. The investigator  was going to meet with us but he got sick and went to the hospital (a normal reaction for Koreans to almost any health problems.) So hopefully we will meet this week. We normally don't tract. Street contacting is a lot more common. I guess it is a bit rude to go to people’s homes. Other churches’ missionaries do it. Our average lessons is probably less than one a day. Our goal is 14 a week. One of the Apostles said we can get 2 every day. The idea is however many we are short that week will fill in with 20-minute practice lessons with ward members but not many members really do that. I have only ever done  one or two of those though. So anyway, not many lessons. But that is ok. We also do some member or less active visits fairly often. And that is what we normally fill our time with. I like the idea of a little devotional. Soccer always starts with a prayer. The bishop of the other ward is in charge. Basketball not many people show up at the beginning, and they stay till after we have to go home so devotionals would be a little hard there as well. But I will talk with my companion about it. Most sports people are Korean. We had a few come to basketball that were not, and they do not speak Korean. People are always really surprised when foreigners speak Korean, because not many foreigners do. A thorn and a rose from this week: A thorn is that we had several appointments cancel with us, so we had very few lessons this week, so a lot of walking. Which is fun but also tiring. A rose is just talking with my companion about some things. It was good, I feel close to him. 

Also Happy Birthday Dia!! Sorry I didn't wish you happy birthday last week. But late is better than never. Here are some memories of Dia: First, I remember how much she enjoys delicious food. Also eating the delicious food she makes. I remember seeing her with Zina and just feeling like she would be a wonderful mother.

My spiritual thoughts this week. It was kind of cool I finished general conference, the book of Mormon, and PMG within a day of each other. I guess just looking at those books/teachings as a whole, I truly feel they are inspired and true. I love the combination between the study books, scriptures, talks, etc. It allows for so many different and consistent insights for all types of different people. I started reading the Power of Everyday Missionaries as well. He talks about doing missionary work for members, but I also think it applies to full time missionaries. Since I was out on the streets a lot this last week my question for whoever wants to answer:  How do you get people on the street to accept our first invitations. Make them smaller? Ask for help? Ideas?
Elder Swanson is on Daniel's Right side

There wasn't too much progress with our investigators this week sadly, so not too much to report. I feel a little bad that this is Elder Swanson's last week. He is such a good person who works hard and loves the people, but has had no success. I just feel for him. But he doesn't let it get him down.
I love you all. Hurrah for Israel.

-- 

Elder Sabey

No comments:

Post a Comment