Monday, December 7, 2015

120715 Na Da Bean and What Makes a Testimony

So we had transfer calls on Saturday. It was a little bit of a crazy transfer. My companion will be Elder Swanson, one of the Zone Leaders in our appointment, who will become district leader and Elder Kim will get a new companion who only has two transfers left. So that will be a bit short for a Zone Leader I guess. Anyway I am excited, I really like Elder Swanson. 
Since this is Elder Grossgebauer's last week, we have been saying goodbye to some people he wanted to say goodbye to. Plus Shawn, the kid who is going to BYU, left this week too so that is sad. But it was cool, there is this choir of a bunch of different people living in Korea that is really good, like professional. Anyway they performed Handel's Messiah which was amazing. They had professional soloist and a real counter tenor. We were supposed to help set up and get them lunch and stuff. We helped get the 30 some-odd pizza's from Costco. So that was fun going through Costco with a cart with like 12 pizzas stacked up. Elder Kim and I did that while the other elders taught English class. We put a TV with the Church's Christmas message at the entrance of our church on repeat in both Korean and English.  The choir felt like the missionaries did everything, when we just helped put the food on the table. We really had nothing to do with the concert, but they kept thanking us, so we just said your welcome. Then we had to set up chairs and everything. During this prep time also No Da Bean got his baptismal interview. But the Zone leaders decided they wanted to meet with him one more time because they wanted to ask him more directly if the reason he is getting baptized is really his girlfriend and he said he hadn't directly prayed about Joseph Smith. So on Sunday morning they finished the interview for the baptism that was schedule for that day after Church... and he passed! But anyway, back to Saturday, we had another person who was coming to the concert and was a little lost and late so he kept calling. Anyway it a little stressful couple of days, I think especially for Elder Grossgebauer. But No Da Bean got baptized so it was all worth it!



It sounds like Hawaii was super boring. I am not jealous at all. But I am glad you were able to celebrate your anniversary. That is super sad about Vi. Tell Terry I love him, feel for him, and am praying for him. They are both so nice to me and are kind and genuine people.
So my thoughts recently have been about testimony. No Da Bean, hadn't prayed specifically about Joseph Smith (which I think is a problem) but I doubt I had when I got baptized either. So I was thinking a little bit about what my testimony is, or what the difference between mine and his is. I don't feel like I have ever had those moments when a voice or overwhelming feeling convinced me of the truthfulness of this church. But I have had many small moments and a few bigger which I am convinced was indeed God's hand in my life. I have lived the principles of this gospel well, and not well, and know there is a difference. I have seen many people's lives and choices in and out of the church and can see a difference. So anyway I felt like that was the same testimony No Da Bean has, perhaps with less evidence yet, perhaps with more. He has seen the difference the Gospel makes in his girlfriend's life, he is changing and noticing a difference. He is tasting the fruits and wants that more and is willing to commit to it. Anyway I am glad they passed him. Handy Choice got the Priesthood on Sunday as well. We got to be in the circle giving it to him. He seemed super happy. So I was thinking about his testimony and I think it is the same. Anyway I think that is the same for all people. That is what testimony is. It is trying it out and tasting the fruits. And as David's essay says it is about commitment. The more we are committed to the gospel the larger and more delicious the fruits become. Anyway I am thankful for God's hand in my life. For the opportunity to serve here. And see people come unto Christ.
Hurrah for Israel!

No comments:

Post a Comment