Monday, November 23, 2015

112315 Thanksgiving Week

This week has been good.  We are going to the temple, so today isn't P-day.

 But it does mean we get P-day on thanksgiving. Some members in the English branch, including the mission president's brother, are feeding our zone thanksgiving dinner. Then we are going to try to get as many people who can to come do a turkey bowl. So that will be fun. Our basketball program is getting more and more people. There is an awesome German guy named Paul in the English branch who is going to school in Korean and he invited 2 of his friends. One, Thad is awesome and has come pretty much every week. Even when Paul couldn't come. Then this inactive in our ward invites a bunch of girls who go to a basketball club thing to come. So we had like 16 people last time. Then the Philippianos play basketball on Saturdays so we are getting a lot of people to the church, and enjoying being with us, we just need to convert some of those into investigators. We also do soccer once a week. People like it when American's can play soccer well. Just scoring a few goals really helps people like you. 

I have been thinking/ponderizing about the scripture (I forgot the reference) that says because of the exceedingly great length of the war, many were hardened... and many were softened to humility. Anyway, I love that. I think the promise of the gospel is not that our lives will be made easier, or that our wars (whatever they be) will be made shorter, or problems taken away, but that through anything we will have the ability to choose one of those two things. So that is something I am trying to and want to do better. See everything as an opportunity to be softened and be humbled. And then suddenly life becomes a lot more meaningful!

This week was also good. My highlights: One, we met with No Da Bean. He took us to a coffee shop and bought us some drinks. He bought a green tea Latte for himself. . . It was funny. But as we talked a little about the baptismal questions and he talked about stopping drinking and smoking and stuff, I figured the green tea latte was not a big deal... or his earrings. :) But he really is pretty awesome. In Korean the boss with often take his workers out drinking and it is rude to say no. So it’s awkward for members in the work place or those in military who are kind of socially forced to drink.  I heard, I don't know the actual stats, that Russians drink twice as much as Americans and that Koreans drink twice as much as Russians. So that is sad. Especially because it is so institutionalized. But anyway, he is obviously nervous about staying clean but is honestly trying. Other than that, no great investigator moments this week.

We had a solid streak of like 5 or 6 meals that people fed us. So that was awesome. Though one was a pretty spicy soup full of clams, so you have to remove all the shells into this little bins they give you. So that wasn't my favorite, but actually wasn't too bad. It was so spicy you can't really taste to seafood much!  Seriously it was actually pretty good, just a bit spicy. So that was another highlight.
Also the English Branch had their primary program which is always a highlight. Then in the Korean ward I gave my first Korean talk. It was only 5 minutes and pretty basic, and probably slow, but still I did it. After at the meal we have with the ward once a month one of the sisters came up to me and said I did well but corrected my pronunciation on one word (like one of the main words I used) Then she asked how long I had been in Korea. I said two months. And she said no, like I misunderstood, then slowed down her speech and asked again how long I had been in Korea. I said yeah 2 months. And she was super surprised at my Korean. Which feels good! Though everybody says you are really good at Korean even if you only say hello, or understand something they said. I do feel like I am getting better. I am understanding more and more. Still not most, but church and simple conversations are become easier. I had an entire conversation with a guy all by myself while my companion was on the phone. I understood what he said and he understood me! It was weird to be talking to somebody by myself for a while. Often at church I get a bit of a head ache. But that is okay! So yeah that is my update on the language.
I love you all.
-- 

Elder Sabey

No comments:

Post a Comment