Thursday, August 13, 2015

08132015 Week 4

Hello everybody!

The days and now weeks kind of start blending in to each other. I am getting into the schedule pretty nicely now. I feel like I am getting a better grasp of Korean. I can put more complicated sentences together (with a fair amount of thought).   I am learning more and more words. I think I am still averaging around 10 or so words a day. So all in all I am probably a little under 400 words. But bringing them out into conversation when you need them is harder, plus quickly recognizing them when they are being said to you while trying to follow the sentence as a whole is hard. But I am getting better slowly but surely. The weird sentence order and structure is annoying. They say it is kind of like an onion. Onions have layers. Haha. But the first subject will go with the last verb then the next subject will go with the second to last verb etc. So a sentence I wanted to say in prayer was "Please bless me to understand how the spirit talks to me." In Korean I would say "Heavenly Father, me, the spirit to me how talks thing (the thing just makes that whole sentence a gerund so you can have complex sentences), understand in order to (to understand) please bless." So thinking through that or sentences similar to that is annoying, but also fun. We have been doing more and more things where they will give us sentences in English and we have to write them in Korean. It is pretty fun. More importantly though, we always try to make class spiritual. One of the sisters was struggling yesterday and after class cried a little bit. And that evening our teacher talked about how we need to be unified as one. We can just focus on our own language ability which is fine, but if we stop comparing and worrying about ourselves and focus on helping others, we will not just be learning missionaries but truly becoming missionaries. 

We were also talking about if statements and can statements. It led into the sentence "if you are not baptized, can you be happy eternally?" which was a question Brother Driggs had an investigator ask. Most people said no. That is true to some extent. In this life or the next receiving baptism is necessary for a fullness of joy. However there is a reason we do Baptisms for the Dead. Because, we believe all good people in all times will have an equal and fair chance to receive a fullness of joy. So the question becomes why do we feel so strongly about sharing the gospel now in this life. It must do something for people here and now that they either cannot do after death or cannot do as well after death. Anyway, I am not sure what I feel. I know the gospel has blessed me so much, because I feel it. But it is hard to pinpoint it. I think it gives me perspective. It gives me higher purpose. It gives me a more accurate understanding of God and reality. It gives me practice using the atonement in a meaningful way. It gives me a higher desire to serve God. So there are a lot of things I think it does for me here and now in this life. But I also believe in true equality, and it doesn't seem fair that I have been born in to the gospel when others were born in the dark ages. So perhaps where I am right now on this topic is that this gospel truly turns the hearts of the children to their fathers and the hearts of the fathers to the children. And those who were born without the gospel either centuries or days ago, can use it. As we share it we become closer together. We connect over truth. We build Zion. So more than any blessing the gospel gives me, it gives me a change to truly build Zion. And that is heaven. Anyway hopefully that made some sense. I would be interested in everybody's thoughts on what the purpose of Christ's gospel is on earth?

So a nice thing about Korean is that the alphabet and stuff is consistent. So I can read Korean relatively accurately, though not quickly. However there are several vowels that are very similar in sound. So this can lead to some funny miscommunications. So for example, the words for young woman, child, virgin, and the umm...antonym of virgin  all sound very similar especially when said quickly. So, I feel like that was bad planning. So my companion was talking about Adam and Eve and was talking about children but he said virgins. Anyway our teacher who was acting as an investigator, broke character and just started laughing. All I am saying is that he was preaching doctrine. They were indeed virgins and couldn't have children. So I am not sure what was so funny. :)

Josh, the bridge ropes course thing looks pretty awesome! I am impressed and not at all surprised. And Sarah you have plenty of street cred.  You survived living in Texas you're entire childhood. Wow. I hope the move goes well as well.
Danielle and David I hope the piano survived the trip. And unpacking is going well. You're attitude in you letters is super impressive. And I am super impressed with you're attitude in you mission letters as well as the ability to talk with people in the first month of the mission! We don't ever learn middle or low form in Korean while at the MTC which is probably what most people will talk to us in most likely. So it will still probably be a while before I can really understand what is going on around me let alone really make good conversation while on the bus. Although once we learn high form the others should come pretty quickly. But still it may be a while. David you said you were going to start meeting with people this week? How did it go? What are your thoughts of everything?
So Brian and Dia are gone, right? Brian will be able to say he has been to the highest altitude in the family I believe. It really is sad that Mount Whitney is basically the only tall mountain in the rest of the United States and it beats all Colorado mountains. I don't know if you can send videos but you should try to send me one of Zina Walking.
Matt, I loved your testimony. And I am so happy for Jim and Onita.   Anyway this gospel is truly a gospel of second chances, and I totally share your fear. As always I guess those choices just take a faith and  a trust in God.
Rachel, I still want to hear about whatever is happening with your dance partner. Also, is Seoul or New York bigger? Because I may be the one living in the bigger city....

Mom and Dad, I love you so much. Thanks for the letters, love, and support. I think because I was born into this house I have a better understanding of a parents love for their children. That I think has been one of the things that has hit me most. That this gospel is about families. God is our father. And that means everything. So I have a better concept of how God feels about me because I know how you have treated me throughout my ups and downs. Dad I would love to hear a little about your work. I don't know why but I am excited for the new firm and everything probably more than you are. Well maybe not but I would love to hear about it. Mom, what is the next project, or what has happened with the documentary? 

Well my last thoughts to whoever actually reads my whole letters: I believe in Christ. I know God lives and loves each of us. I feel they are true. Their teaching rings true in my soul. I want to be a better person. I want to love people more completely. I want to get to know and help people. And I think that is why I am serving a mission. 

Hurrah for family! Hurrah for God and his gospel! Hurrah Christ and his atonement! Hurrah for Israel!
Elder Sabey

No comments:

Post a Comment