Friday, August 7, 2015

08062015 Week 3

Hello everybody! Thanks again for the letters. It always is fun to get updates from people.

So first answering questions. Yes I do have the adjusting to missionary life handbook. My district has 9 people. 2 sisters and 7 elders. Elder Litster has not been put ahead. They called his mission president and as far as we know he never responded because nobody seems to know what is happening so for the time being he is still in our class. Everybody in our district is pretty awesome and just really well rounded and smart people. Elder Littlefield played football and is just a really hard working and genuinely good and believing person. Elder Baird seemed kind of a "cool kid" to me, which he kind of is. But he has truly been humbled and he is working really hard and it is really cool to see. He bikes and played soccer. Elder Conley was in Marching band but is really funny and good to have around. His companion Elder Polley is from Vegas. He played volleyball in high school and is very energetic and loves joking around. But we all work hard. Sister O'Loughlin's younger sister had some medical problem so was having surgery and stuff as she entered the MTC, so I think that was really hard for her. But after some complications and stuff she (the sister) is back home so that is good news. Sister Fields came from a small school so she was the student body president and played volleyball and basketball and stuff. So there you go that is my district: overall pretty athletic and smart. We definitely can get some fun conversations going, which is a good balance to the hard work and language study. And yes Lexie was in my zone since it is all the Korean speakers. She left this past week to go to Korea though so I probably won't see her for two years. And I have seen quite a few people I knew from BYU. For the most part though you just spend time with your district, so I don't have too much of an opportunity to meet or talk a bunch with people. 

I am very offended that Zina decided to wait until I left to start walking. I wish I could see her! When I can back she will be talking and it will be crazy. Ben and Gabby's backyard sound super exciting. I would love to see some pictures. Also did you send my retainer and razor? Some of the mail has been slow so you maybe have already sent it, but if not that would be great.  It is crazy how everybody's lives are changing. Rachel may have a new dance partner, David and Danielle are in Nashville, Brian and Dia are about to go back to Provo, and Josh and Sarah will be heading to North Carolina sometime soon. I still feel like I am very new here at the MTC so it is kind of weird to think about all that has happened in the outside world since I have come in. Even though it has only been three weeks. 

Funny story for the week: we have a little zone devotional at 10pm on Mondays and Fridays. On Fridays our district president, President Perriton, comes to listen. Anyway, we had just gotten back to our room and were changing into our PJ's. And right as I was taking of my dress pants President Perriton walks in. I saw him walk in and look at me and so I quickly put my pants back on and said "Hey President." So maybe next Friday I will close the door completely before changing!  So yeah that was a good moment from this week. It wasn't like I was breaking any rules or anything it was just kind of awkward and funny.

The biggest things that happened this week were the two devotionals. The first was by Sherri Dew and the second by Russel M. Nelson (who, fun fact, was set apart as the president of the quorum of the twelve apostles on the day I came to the MTC and this was his first speaking engagement since then.) They brought the big guns this week. Sherri Dew talked a little bit about wrestling with God. She said there are three things that are truly worth wrestling over, no matter how long it takes. First, that Jesus is the Christ. Second, that the Holy Ghost does speak to me (and figuring out how he speaks to me) and finally, that there are ministering angels. I thought that was really interesting. I didn't say them as well as she did, but I feel like I do need to have more faith in and testimony of those things. I have prayed a fair amount for ministering angels and for understanding more how the Holy Ghost communicates with me. I don't feel like I have received a direct answer but I do feel like I have been more at peace. And I think that has been ministering angels and the comforter. Russel M. Nelson said different things. But I think one of the most interesting things was what he said our, as in our church's and missionaries', main three goals are to gather scattered Israel, help families get sealed in the temple, and prepare the world for the second coming. The first two in my mind were kind of the same. One is gathering the children of Israel in so they can become a covenant people and family. The other is perhaps the way we truly can gather Israel, and more literally gathers families in and binds them together in eternal covenants. I don't really know how we prepare the world for the second coming. I guess warning people of the consequences of sin is about as good as I can do. So yeah, that was exciting to have two pretty awesome speakers this week.

My main thoughts a lot of the MTC have been on faith and hope. Both require just a firm and unwavering trust in the Lord: something which I certainly need to work on. I really do desire to have my eyes single to the glory of God. However, I have doubts and my trust and faith waver day to day, hour to hour, and minute to minute. So I do love what David's scripture he shared with me. "[Even] if we believe not, yet he abideth faithful." That is a comforting thought. For the devotional we sang a beautiful arrangement of Be Still My Soul. I think that is a beautiful Hymn and applicable to all. The choir director said he wanted it to be for Russel M. Nelson. After having two apostles die, and I am assuming President Monson not being in good health, he has suddenly been thrust into a huge leadership position. He, like me, may have experienced fluctuations in faith or hope. As we are still and know that God is indeed God, our worries and cares suddenly become less hard or more easy to bear and more meaningful. Anyway, this Gospel is true. I love the church, I love and sustain the leaders, and more importantly testify of Christ. He truly is at the head of this church. 

Hurrah for Israel!
Elder Sabey

PS That is really sad that Noah died this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment