Monday, April 18, 2016

04182016 What does it mean to accept the gospel?

This week was good! Transfers happened, we got sisters and a new elder in the apartment, Grace and Kevin have a baptismal date, Zach is progressing well, we got a new ward mission leader, and life is good!
So we have a Korean sister in our district who seems super awesome. She is great. Her companion, Sister Brooksby is also cool. She studied Korean for 4 years, had Korean friends, and is really good at Korean. So that is cool! Elder Miller is cool. He lived in a trailer and is a little strange, but I really like him! Nice kid!
We met with Grace and Kevin at the Winther’s again (the family who each got divorced and each had 2 kids and now one together, the wife is Japanese) Brother Jensen, the guy who has been translating/teaching brought his wife and daughter so we had lots of people. Like the first thing Kevin said, is that he wants to be baptized but he just wants to know what he has to read to prepare his mind for baptism. I wish more people asked that! So he wants to get baptized, after school, near his birthday, so that is when we are going to do it. June 18th I believe. So that was an awesome time yesterday.
Zach is a little quiet, but I just really like him. There isn't too much to say, but we taught the Plan of Salvation, and I realize more and more how meaningful it is. Actually that relates to another experience from this week. We met with a recent convert, Julie, a Korean-American who is now living in Korea teaching piano at a university. She got baptized but went inactive pretty quick. She was in a car accident and partially because of that she got behind at work and stuff and stopped coming. Anyway, she finally met us. At first we talked about temples. Then she said she doesn't like how we say we are the only true church. She also said some sisters told her that Mother Theresa  is not going to heaven. First off, never ever say that to anybody ever. Second, it is just flat out wrong. So as I was explaining to her what we believe, and how we really believe people of all faiths can, and will go to heaven. Ultimately my thoughts went to what it meant to accept this gospel. In one verse, I think it says only those who accept this gospel in this life can go to the celestial kingdom... Correct me if I am wrong. But anyway, I think that Mother Terrissa truly accepted the gospel. Whether or not she received the ordinances in this life or not. So I attempted to relate that too her, and tied it back into the importance of temples. Perhaps I was too aggressive, but in the end, she reconsidered a little, and said he wants to read a little more and I think we will meet her again several times. I offered to give her Brian's essay about that phrase. It may be a bit difficult, but I might still give it to her to read! Anyway a good week! I am excited for what this upcoming week brings.
This gospel is awesome, the Plan of Salvation is so helpful in this life, and brings so much peace, and Temples are truly sacred.
Hurrah for Israel!
-- 

Elder Sabey

No comments:

Post a Comment