Monday, September 21, 2015

092115 . I am in 영등포

Hello Everybody! 
I am in Korea, so that is exciting. I am in 영등포 (young doung poe). It is like the center of Seoul. So we have the embassy/congress building,


and the Korean Times Square, and a little island city thing almost like Manhattan, just not as big. So lots of big buildings. It is pretty awesome. My companion said that our area has about a million people in it. So, I don't know but I bet that it is one of the bigger area's by population in the world.


My companion is Elder Grossgebauer. The Koreans think it is such a hard name because it is a bunch of hard consonants in a row, so that is funny. Anyway, he is really nice. He is the District leader and we live with the zone leaders. Elder Grossgebauer served in the area before just after being trained. So he knows some people which is nice. These two transfers with me will be the last of his mission, so we will hopefully work hard and be successful for him. He has helped several people get close to baptism, but has always been transferred before they were actually baptized. So we are going to get him a baptism! Actually our goal is 2. The problem with that is we have no investigators. So, it will be pretty miraculous if that happens, but God can do all things. The people of Korea are super nice, especially because we are American and missionaries. However, nobody actually wants to listen to us. A lot of people will just say they are busy. Or some will just ignore us and look the other way and walk away. But a lot of people will talk to us, and accept what we have to give them and even say they will call, but nobody does. Nobody is mean though, so that is nice. 

Another cool thing about Korea is that it is super high tech, fashionable, and polite. So when I get on the subway, it is clean, silent, there are six seats for elderly, or disabled on the end and those are empty, unless old people are sitting there. Every other seat is filled with super classy people and nobody talks much. If they do it is quiet. And EVERYBODY is on their smartphone, including the grandmas and grandpas. So it is a little funny trying to talk to people. They are pretty nice since we are foreigners but they think us trying to talk with them is weird.

 Pretty much how it works here is that your district are the missionaries in your ward, so we have 6 missionaries in our district, the four of us in the apartment and two sisters. Plus we are blessed since we got this little castle church (it looks like a red brick castle) to have an English branch as well, which is actually bigger than the Korean ward. So I could actually understand what was being said there! haha. Church was pretty exhausting. I catch words and sentence patterns and stuff, but really have very little idea what is really being said. I can figure out general topics. So just focusing and trying to figure out what they are saying is exhausting. Pretty much everybody speaks better English than I speak Korean, so I still end up talking quite a bit of English. Our bishop is fluent in English so that is nice. They took us out to eat and bought me some none spicy Korean food. Then after church the bishop’s wife and a bunch of the ladies from the ward made a little dinner/lunch for us and the bishop, it is really cute. They definitely have specific roles for men and women. 

One of my favorite parts of my week is teaching English class. It is kind of fun being on the other said of language learning and having to talk really slowly for them to understand me. English is a crazy language. Plus in one of these classes there was a lady who is inactive I think. She just talked about her work and stuff. Anyway it led to a discussion of what rich really is. And how important family is and stuff. Everybody seemed interested and I guess it was some good English practice too. 

The food is good. I haven't had too much Korean food yet, but what I have had is good. The soup thing the sisters in the ward made had a bunch of muscles in them. I don't love the fishy taste still but I ate them all. So no crazy food stories yet. Anyway I don't really know how to street contact well since I can't communicate super well. Any suggestions? Here is my letter to the mission president.

Hey President,
This week was good! I love my area. Right in the middle of the big city. We don't have any investigators, so I don't feel like a super  effective missionary currently. I can't really hold conversation with people well, and most of the time we just go and talk with people, so my companion does most of the talking. The rest of the time we do ward activities and stuff. So I have enjoyed it. It is a little funny doing the 12 week program with no investigators since it asks us to apply all of the principles to our investigators. However, I am still learning a lot. My companion is great. He really cares about people. And I will be his last companion, so we are going to try to work hard to the end. I don't feel like he is an amazingly hard worker, but we do talk and our relationship is also important so I don't know what the right balance is. 
Cool story from the week. We were going to go and visit some people Elder Grossgebauer knew when he was previously here who all weren't there. However while we were walking there was a kid around our age who was carrying this big mettle case, so I asked "what is that thing?" And he said it a camera. After that I couldn't converse much, but my companion took over. It turns out he was just really nice and a good kid. We walked with him and helped him find the subway. He gave us his phone number and said he would like to eat with us today, so hopefully we will get him to come to the family night at the church tonight. Anyway, who knows if anything will happen with him but opening your mouth does bring opportunities and blessings.
Elder Sabey
P.S. I get an hour and a half to email so I should have enough time. Oh plus I am going to a bath house today, which is a big Korean thing. So I will report on that next week. Haha :) And another thought Mom, you could maybe sometimes change the name of the post on my Facebook if you want just to mix things up if you want to. Thanks for all the letters!
            
 Also, so fun facts. They don't have beds here. Just mats you use on the floor. 
 Showers also  aren't a thing.  hey just have the shower head coming out of 
the sink and there is a drain in the  floor so the whole bathroom is your shower. 
Plus a lot of places of bodet? The thing that squirts water in the toilet... I have no 
idea how  French spelling works. Though I think most apartments 
don't have them. Also I didn't say too much about my first little bit. 
My mission president and his wife are nice. I don't know them super well yet.   



We spent the first day or say with them and that 
was nice. We had some delicious food. Love you all again!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment