Thursday, July 23, 2015

07232015 Daniel's first week in the MTC

Hello Family and Friends!

My first week at the MTC had definitely been full of ups and downs. The first couple days were definitely pretty hard. It is frustrating not understanding most of what is being said to you. Then after barely learning a new alphabet, being asked to teach lessons in Korean by basically reading really slowly from notes you bring in feels uncomfortable.  I have very little time to actually learn words and sentence structure. Especially because every hour of our day has something scheduled. So if I want to find time to try to learn things by myself it has to be the hour before going to bed or during other things like meals. So yeah we have given a lesson every day since our second or third day, other than Sunday. But after Sunday we started learning a little bit about grammar which helps.  We just are slowly adding to our vocab. I still feel like I can't really put many sentences together.


My companions are both awesome guys. Yes I am in a threesome. Elder Rees is from Texas and is just really good at learning words and grammar quickly, it is really impressive. Elder Litster is half Korean and his mom would speak to him in Korean a lot. So he basically understands most of what is being said to him already, and has a head start in being able to speak Korean as well. I feel like most people prepared more than I did as well for Korean, so it is definitely hard to not compare myself to them, but I am working on it.
The MTC, I think, is made to humble us and teach us. And that is a good experience. I think I am starting to realize what 2 years actually means. It will be a marvelous and hard experience. Matt I really appreciated your thoughts on the pioneers and I always appreciate everybody's love and updates. Danielle, what happened to writing me every week? I have two pretty awesome teachers. One is Korean but grew up in America. Brother Sung is his name. He gets off topic pretty easily and speaks more English with us. I love Brother Driggs. He is majoring in Korean and is just an awesome guy. My district is pretty great. There are some kids I would have judged/did judge, but as I have gotten to know them they are all willing to be humbled and taught. And that has made me love them all the more. We all have basically committed to work hard and try to be obedient, which is really nice. It was cool to hear everybody's testimony at the end of class yesterday. We all talked about how the first week was humbling and good. Sometimes they intentionally try to get Brother Sung off topic, but that can be a nice break from class.  
          I have been reading a little in the Old Testament and in the Doctrine and Covenants. As I have been reading in Genesis, the song God Moves in a Mysterious Way kept coming to my mind. Especially considering modern sentiment which I have grown up with, a lot of what happens is weird and seems immoral or something. However as the story continues things are righted, people are humbled, and God's work progresses. And the story is beautiful. Then in D&C, I was struck with the fact that God is really repetitive. As people come to him and ask what they need to know most in their lives, his answer is almost always the same. Preaching my gospel is what will be most important to you right now. And as Joseph Smith attempted to do God's will, God keeps telling him repent, humble yourself, and don't sin any more. And he says these things a lot. Anyway, I thought those both related to me now. I often feel, as those in the Old Testament, Joseph Smith, and the saints in all dispensations feel, that I don't understand completely why God works in the way he does, through prideful 18 and 19 year old boys and girls. I don't always understand why I go through what I go through. Why I was assigned to Korea, or to my companions who both learn Korean quickly. God truly works in mysterious ways. However the story is beautiful. I have been humbled, things are and will be good, and God's work progresses. I will trust in God despite my lack of foresight and understanding. And that is all he asks us to do. 

              Another thought comes from Preach My Gospel. In the atonement section I believe, it says that we are cleansed from sin through the Holy Ghost. That surprised me. But I thought about it and decided it is beautiful. If repentance is turning towards God, and not just away from sin, then it makes sense that the Holy Ghost is the one to do that. He is the one that can change our hearts, and thus cleanse us from sin. And we are baptized with fire: fire being a great cleanser. Christ paid the price for our sins and the Holy Ghost can help us turn towards God. Anyway, I love you all so much and would love any thoughts you have. I don't know how dear elder works. You may call the MTC, or I can try to figure out this week. I am working hard and am happy, even though it is hard.

Hurrah For Isreal!
Elder Sabey



No comments:

Post a Comment